Arts and Culture
From the Sydney Opera House to small neighbourhood theatres, discover all the exhilaration, surprise and wonder of Sydney’s cultural calendar. Enjoy dazzling performances, blockbuster musicals and fabulous festivals, such as the in summer and Vivid Sydney in winter.
The top cultural events, shows and exhibitions in Sydney this summer include:
- Masters of modern art from the Hermitage, the Art Gallery of NSW
- David Goldblatt: Photographs 1948-2018, the Museum of Contemporary Art
- La Bohème and Turandot, the Sydney Opera House
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory musical, the Capitol Theatre
- Jesus Christ Superstar musical, Riverside Theatres
- Peter Pan Goes Wrong, Sydney Lyric Theatre
- Whales - Tohorā: Discover the giants of the ocean, the Australian Museum
- On Sharks and Humanity, the Australian National Maritime Museum
- How Cities Work, the Museum of Sydney
The UNESCO World Heritage-listed Sydney Opera House is on the edge of Sydney Harbour, one of the finest natural harbours. More than 1,600 performances are held each year inside the striking white sails, from ballet and opera to classical music, contemporary dance, stage plays and more.
You’ll find many more majestic venues putting on spectacular theatre and shows, and foot-tapping musicals, from the State Theatre and the Capitol Theatre to the Sydney Lyric and the Riverside Theatres. For a perfect night out, enjoy the delicious restaurants and cool bars near the theatres.
The leading Sydney Theatre Company is in Walsh Bay, a lively cultural precinct and home to the Roslyn Packer Theatre, Sydney Dance Company and Bangarra Dance Theatre, the internationally acclaimed indigenous dance company. You can see performances on a heritage-listed wharf, too.
There are outstanding neighbourhood theatres. Reserve your tickets for plays at the Belvoir St Theatre, in Surry Hills, where Oscar winners Geoffrey Rush and Cate Blanchett have performed. And check out the gigs in venues across the city, from pubs to Sydney Olympic park for big music stars.
In Sydney’s museums you’ll find everything from dinosaurs and ancient artefacts to colonial and indigenous history, tall ships and warships, and even one of Don Bradman's cricket bats. And the leading public art galleries hang extraordinary collections, from old masters to contemporary art.